MUFG's continuing commitment to finance clean energy ranks first worldwide
MUFG is contributing to the growth of renewable energy as an arranger of clean energy project finance in the solar, hydropower, wind, and geothermal energy sectors.
Bloomberg New Energy Finance recently released its Clean Energy & Energy Smart Technologies 2018 project finance league table, in which MUFG earned the top spot for the global private financial sector for the third straight year.
In 2018, MUFG provided approximately USD 3.9 billion in financing, equivalent to a market share of 5.8%, for a total of 59 clean energy projects, including participation in a number of large-scale projects.
MUFG’s notable 2018 clean energy projects (all in the United Kingdom):
- 1,200-megawatt (MW) Hornsea Project One Offshore Wind Farm Global Infrastructure Partners acquisition (USD 252 million)
- 950-MW Moray Firth Offshore Wind Farm (USD 150 million)
- 857-MW Triton Knoll Offshore Wind Farm (USD 118 million)
- 573-MW Race Bank Offshore Wind Farm refinancing I (USD 86 million)
- 504-MW Galloper Offshore Wind Farm refinancing (USD 982 million)
- 402-MW Dudgeon East Offshore Wind Farm refinancing I (USD 200 million)
The scale of clean energy projects is expected to continue to increase since the establishment of the November 2016 Paris Accord, the new global framework to mitigate the effects of global warming.